Thursday, July 10, 2014

Understand.



Some of the best things in life you won’t understand.  And that’s okay.  For instance, I don’t understand love.  I know it when I see it.  I can sense it when I experience it.  I can feel it.  But I do not, and likely never will, understand it.  And if someone claims to understand love, I almost feel a little sorry for them.   

The same goes for any number of things; beauty, hope, life, god, faith.  Some things are just too big to wrap your mind around.  They’re just bigger than you are, and that is a good thing.  That is a great thing.   

I’ve spent way too much time trying to understand things that are beyond me.  And to be honest, those times when I am analyzing things and trying to figure them out, those are also the times when I enjoy those things the least, the times when I feel like they are missing.  You can miss out on something by trying too hard to understand it.   

You can spend way too much time trying to stuff things into your head, trying to make them fit.  To do so would be a measure of betrayal of the thing itself.  If you do that they will inevitably become something other than what they are, what they truly are.  In trying to fit them inside, you will have to mold them and shape them to fit your head and they will no longer be completely themselves.  Try to conform something to fit inside your head and you will simply have your version of it, malformed and incomplete.  The act of internalizing a thing can lessen its nature.   

Things like hope and love and faith aren’t something you can internalize, at least not completely.  You can’t keep them within.  You can’t contain them.   

Because they are not inside of you.   

You are inside of them.   

And that is precisely where you belong.  


No comments:

Post a Comment